Medford Family Network
“A Friend to Know…A Place to Grow”
The Medford Family Network (MFN) of the Medford Public Schools is Medford’s family support and parenting education program that is available for FREE to every child and caregiver who lives or works in Medford with at least one child prenatal to age eight. The goal of the MFN is to create a strong web of support for all families of young children. This is accomplished by making community connections in three ways: connecting families to families; fostering family contact with community resources; and building and promoting collaborative relationships among community agencies.
MFN at its core is dedicated to the understanding that the parent or custodial caregiver is the first, longest-lasting and most important teacher in the life of their child(ren). We promote a sense of belonging and respect for each family, honoring the unique strengths and challenges that each one experiences. Our mission is to partner with families to provide the resources, referrals and relationships, unique to each family, that lay the foundation for and promote optimal, healthy, loving family life. We celebrate the successes that our parents, children, and families experience as they utilize our programs, services, and individual consultation. The programs and activities of the MFN are rooted in The Five Protective Factors (see www.strengthening families.net). These include: parental resilience; social connections; knowledge of parenting and child development; concrete support in times of need; and social and emotional development of children and adults. These programs and activities include but are not limited to:
- Family Center at Medford High School - “The Purple Door”
- Parenting Education Workshops
- Play and Learn Groups - Structured and Outdoor
- Ages and Stages Questionnaires
- City-wide Family Events and Activities
- Babysitting Exchange Program
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes
- Information and Referral Services
- Lending Library of Books for Parents and Children
- Parent Leadership Opportunities: Parent Advisory Board; Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee; Friends of the Medford Family Network Corp.
- Parent Support Groups ( New Parents, Grandparents; Fathers; Parents of Children with Autism)
- Weekly Updates of Programs, Services, Community Resources
- Visiting Moms Program
Programs are offered days, evenings, and weekends at the Family Center and throughout the city and are FREE of charge. Child care and transportation options are available.
Ages and Stages Questionnaires
Your child’s first 5 years of life are so important. To help you provide the best start for your child, we invite you to participate in the brief Ages & Stages Questionnaires, Third Edition (ASQ-3) and (SE-2), to keep track of your child’s development. The questionnaires may be utilized every 2-, 4- or 6-month period. There are six questions in the five areas of development or skill sets: communication; gross motor; fine motor; problem solving; and personal social skills.
- Parenting Education Workshops
- Support Groups
- Structured Play and Learn Groups
- Outdoor Play and Learn Groups
- Drop-In Playtime
- Concrete Supports
- Information & Referral Services
- Special Events
- Parent Leadership
- Medford Family Resource Coalition Council (MFRC)
- Friends Of The Medford Family Network (FNFM)
MFN is funded in part by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (Coordinated Family and Community Engagement (CFCE) Grant), the Children’s Trust (CT) (Massachusetts Family Center Grant), and the Friends of the Medford Family Network 501c3 Corp., and generous donations from the community.
Facebook - @MFN02155
Twitter - @MFN02155
YouTube Channel - The Medford Family Network
Calendar - www.calendarwiz.com/mfnschedule